Sottimano Barbera d'Alba Pairolero 2021 750ml - Bottle Shop of Spring Lake
(732) 449-5525
Sottimano Barbera d'Alba Pairolero 2021 750ml
SKU: 14044

Sottimano Barbera d'Alba Pairolero 2021

  • wa93
  • v91-93
  • ws90


Available for:
Category Red Wine
Origin Italy, Piedmont, Barbera d'Alba
Brand Sottimano

This is an exceptional Barbera from the Sottimano family who is well-known for high quality Barbaresco wines. While Nebbiolo may be 'king' in Piedmont (Nebbiolo is the grape used in Barbaresco and Barolo), the other two main red grapes of the region, Dolcetto and Barbera, are becoming more exciting due to the commitment of high quality growers such as Sottimano, Sandrone and Clerico. The 'Pairolero' Barbera is a blend of two different vineyards of Barbera in Neive; Curra' and Basarin.

Winemaker Andrea Sottimano uses only natural, indigenous yeasts in the winemaking and the malolactic fermentation is completed in French barrels, where the wine remains for approximately 15-16 months. 25% of the barrels used for aging are new, the remaining 75% have previously been used for up to 4 times. There is no filtering and no fining prior to bottling. Barbera has become one of our favorite 'everyday' reds with a full range of foods. Serve with white meats, light red meat dishes, bright tomato-based sauces, cheeses, olives, cured meats and more.

Wine Advocate
  • wa93

The Sottimano 2018 Barbera d'Alba Superiore Pairolero offers more richness and concentration, painting a dark and sultry portrait of this popular grape from Piedmont. Fruit is drawn from old vines planted in the Basarin vineyard. Sottimano pushes for longer maceration times on all its wines, building the slow-release intensity and depth that characterizes this collection. Wild cherry and plum are backed by light spice and potting soil. The aromatic ensemble is elegant and lasting. There is hint of sweet berry on the fresh close.

Monica Larner
  • v91-93

The 2021 Barbera d'Alba Superiore Pairolero is a heady, explosive wine. Black cherry, new leather, licorice, cloves and gravel infuse the Barbera with so much flavor intensity. Bright acids lend quite a bit of energy throughout. The 2021 is incredibly promising. It was aged in a combination of tank and cask.

Antonio Galloni, November 2022
Wine Spectator
  • ws90

Simultaneously luscious and fluid, with black cherry, black currant, earth and toasty spice flavors flowing through seamlessly. Balanced, with a firm, succulent finish that defines the fruit and oak accents. Drink now through 2027.

Bruce Sanderson, November 30, 2023
Sparkling Rosé
No Sulfites Added
  • wa91
    Wine Advocate
  • ws91
    Wine Spectator
  • st91
    International Wine Cellar
  • we91
    Wine Enthusiast
  • js91
    James Suckling
  • bs91
    Bottle Shop
  • w&s91
    Wine & Spirits
  • bh91
  • wj91
    Wine Journal
  • wsk91
    Whiskey Advocate
  • agv91
  • d91
  • tp91
    The Tasting Panel
  • jd91
    Jeb Dunnuck